Travel Insurance Is Good For International Travel 旅行保險該在什麼情況下值得買?
As an accountant, I'm somewhat risk adverse. I just don't dare to travel outside the USA for weeks without insuring my trip. I personally think travel insurance is worth for the peace of my mind when I prepaid for the plane tickets and hotels for thousands of dollars. Even though I am visiting my hometown Macau, I will feel jittery if I go there without travel insurance. My trip back home costs me thousands of USD, so to me, paying $254 (for a 2-weeks trip, without the Flight Guard and Car Rental Collision Coverage because I don't need to drive in Macau) to protect my loss against unexpected trip cancellation and interruption, isn't making my trip that noticeably more expensive. I however never bought travel insurance when my trip cost under US$5,000. It's because I'm tolerant to insignificant loss of money and at my tolerance level, anything that is under US$5,000 isn't worth my worrying about it. I also didn't buy travel insurance when my trip was paid with one of my credit cards that provides card members with protection against trip cancellation and interruption. As you can see, I prefer the very basic travel insurance that covers the risk areas which I'm most concerned, which is my expensive airfares and hotels cost due to cancellation or interruption. It's because my credit card covers accidental death up to $500,000 and also lost or damaged luggage for $3,000, so I really don't need to pay for the extra travel insurance for these risks. Yes, by checking your credit cards' guide of benefits, you will save money on travel insurance. Many credit cards provide insurance for accidental deaths, lost or damage luggage for free, one of those cards is Disney Visa Card from Chase.
For those who suddenly find themselves to be without health coverage in the USA, for whatever reason, like myself, traveling outside the USA with travel insurance can give you the health coverage fast and quick once you are on your way. But of course, such health coverage is for the accidental injury or sudden illness that happens to you while you are traveling, it doesn't cover your pre-existing health problems. To the healthy people who just want to sleep safe and sound without worrying about a very expensive emergency appendectomy in the USA, traveling with travel insurance is the best way to escape such worry and risk exposure, while you fix your health coverage gap in the USA mother land.
P.S. I had never once claimed any travel insurance that I bought. So I'm not sure how easy or difficult the claim process is. I consider myself lucky and I hope I will never have to claim for any travel insurance. But if you have the experience in filing a claim, you are welcome to share with me, in the comment area below, your experience and opinion about buying travel insurance.
Comments
Post a Comment